The Avenues development started in 1875, originally known as the Westbourne Park Estate when it was first laid out by the enterprising developer David Parkinson Garbutt. Before this an 1869 plan of Hull shows it as farmland.
There was no regular pattern to the building of houses, with the houses being constructed in small numbers by local builders, as was the practice of the building industry at that time. This style of building created an immense variety of architectural styles with each group of houses having its own distinctive architectural image which makes it different from the houses around, ending with the development of the Avenues generally finishing before the Second World War.
From 1875 Princes Avenue was the only entrance to the Avenues until Chanterlands Avenue was extended northwards, from Perth Street, around 1908 giving alternative access.
The Avenues and Pearson Park became a conservation area in 1974 following a lengthy campaign by the then Avenues Residents Association.
As a result of both Pearson Park and the Avenues becoming a conservation area it was agreed to extend the Avenues Residents Association to include Pearson Park, thus resulting in the now Avenues and Pearson Park Residents Association (APPRA), of which Open Gardens is a subcommittee.